Wednesday 19 November 2014

Standing till Infinity



After writing ‘I will always stand at attention when the National Anthem is on’ 200 times, I moved over to the staff room where Mrs. Ndumele- the Agric. Sci. teacher sat gracefully on her sit. Earlier in the day, she had given me 8 solid strokes of the cane ‘cos I was biting my nails when the Anthem was on. You need to have seen me after that incidence; whenever I hear ‘stand right for the National Anthem’, the speed I use in complying with the command can never be measured…….




………..I heartily ate my noodles and sardine this morning. I had to take my time- I mean it was hot. By the time I was through, it was already 7:22. I live on a street with about 4 different schools; School A was reciting the Anthem. Trying to be patriotic, I stopped and murmured along. The look from passers-by though, I'm sure they were like ‘it be like say this geh never late for work abi’. I ignored all the stares and moved on when I heard ‘Peace and Unity’.

I was happy when I passed the next two schools and there was no sign of the Anthem. As if School D was waiting for me to pass, I heard that line again ‘Stand……………’ Did I stand? I mean I love my country but I won’t let Mrs. Ndumele haunt me for the rest of my life. To crown it all up, I am currently serving in a school; when I got there I had to stand at attention again.



Then I started asking myself: How many times does one have to do this in a day?

No comments:

Post a Comment