Friday 18 July 2014

Guest post: ADELAIDE

By Tolu Akinsola

The noise from the house made my head spin. I felt like a swarm of bees buzzed around my head. My sisters were at it again ‘partying’ (I choose to call it that because they were doing more than just listening to music). I was not ready for this, so I turned back.
Heading to where? The first thought was S.B’s house. But was that even an option? I just had a session with her husband and welcoming me for the night would be a great favor on his part. I wished my parents were home.
But B.J surely knew how to get me pissed. He always acted like a big brother (that’s a plus) but monitoring my every movement is what I wouldn’t take. Agreed, he’s married to my sister, his lovely wedded wife to love and to cherish till death do them part but he’s got no right whatsoever to monitor me!
Yes! I felt the colour drain from my face. I stood there for a while deciding what to do; either to walk into the house and give the girls a piece of my mind or swallow my pride and go back (pleadingly) to my sister’s house.
Suddenly, everywhere was quiet.
“Ooooooooh!” I could recognize Sheila’s angry voice, anytime, any day, anywhere.
Thank You Lord! I had mouthed those words before I remembered that the power outage was going to affect me too. But I was satisfied for the time being.
“NEPA!” Selena yelled. Is this not the meaning of their name (NEVER EXPECT POWER ALWAYS)? Even though they had name reforms and other reforms, isn’t that the name that sticks in the head of every Nigerian (or at least a good portion of the population)?
Well, for the first time, I was glad for the interruption. God sure knows how to work things out for His beloved. I felt very special. I glanced at the house again and this time, my feet were guided gallantly and majestically to the front door. I rang the bell.
“Who goes there?” Obviously, Sheila was still vexed.
Who cares?
“Moi” I replied, trying to hide my satisfaction and happiness. Sheila flung the door open and stared at me, red-faced. This time, I laughed. Her face was lovely to look at.
“You look good when you are angry,” I confessed the very thoughts in my mind.
Mtchew. Sheila hissed and stepped aside for me to come in. I saw Selena sink into the armchair while Chelise lay with frustration on the sofa.
“Good evening,” I greeted
“Good evening,” they replied. I just walked straight to my room. An extra word could invite trouble.
Urgh! There was nothing as good as having some peace and quiet. I actually and sincerely prayed that none of them would think of putting on the generator. That would be very awful. And my prayers were being answered. My stomach growled. I made for the kitchen. Dry! Then, I wished I hadn’t said a selfish prayer. I went back to my room and my eyes caught my laundry basket and lo! It was filled with dirty clothes. Washing with my hands wasn’t an option at the time and there was no light to use the washing machine. I felt like the devil was laughing at me. My phone rang.
Jeez! This was the last distraction I wanted. My stomach growled again and then, I remembered that I’d seen some potato chips in the fridge. I needed rest and there goes;
Ayobami! Oh My God! Not tonight! I pressed the green button
“Hi dear!” I heard his pleasant voice
“Yeah,” I played tough.
“Thought we could hang out to…”
“…Not tonight! I’m so tired, okay?”
“Calm down, Miss,” he said firmly but gently.
“My friends are hosting a dinner tomorrow night and I wanted you to accompany me.”
“Oh! I’m sorry for snapping at you. I’m just a bit stressed.”
“It’s alright, dear,” he said kindly.
“Okay. Tomorrow night,” I replied and he hung up. I felt very ashamed at my behavior. I always messed up.
“Up NEPA!” I heard from the sitting room and I slumped.









Tolu is a Political Science graduate from the University of Lagos, Nigeria.

No comments:

Post a Comment